Carmine Lilo Galante – the cigar

He was as vicious as the Mafia boss Vito Genovese, as ambitious as Vito Genovese, and as deeply involved in the heroin business as Vito Genovese. However, Caranto “The Purata” Gallant would not die of natural causes, as Vito Genovese did (though in prison). Instead, Galante was killed in one of the most memorable hit mafias of all time. After his body was filled with lead, he lay spread on his back in the small patio of a restaurant in Queens, his cigar brand tightly clenched between his teeth.
trivago flights and hotels
Camilo Galante was born on February 21, 1910, at 27 Stanton Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Since both his parents, Vincenzo, the fisherman, and his wife (maiden name Vingenza Russo) were born in the seaside village of Castellammarese del Golfo in Sicily, Galante is a pure first generation Sicilian / American. Galante had two brothers and two sisters, and when he was at school, Galante dropped his name Camilo and insisted on his name being Carmine. Over the years he was shortened to Lilo, which was the name most of his associates called Galante.
airline ticket for the best price
Galante first became involved in petty shoplifting when he was fourteen. But since he was a minor at the time, no record of that arrest is on his official police file.
vacation packages all inclusive
At various times, Galante attended Public Schools 79 and 120, but dropped out of school forever at the age of fifteen. Galante has been in and out of the Reform School several times and has been considered an “irreparable delinquent”.
vacation packages all inclusive
From 1923 to 1926 Galante was employed by the Artificial Flowers Company in Lubin at 270 West Broadway. However, this was wrong to satisfy the law that Galante was hired when in fact he was engaged in a very lucrative criminal career.
cheap flights
In December 1925, Galante was arrested for assault. However, the money changed hands between the people of Galante and the crooked cops, and as a result Galante was released without any prison time. In December 1926, Galante was arrested again, but this time he was found guilty of second-degree assault and robbery and sentenced to two to five years in prison. Galante was released from prison in 1930 and, in order to satisfy his parole officer, he received another alleged “job” at the O & # 39; Brien Fish Company at 105 South Street, near Fulton Fish Market.
However, the nature of Galante was not to be kept to the right of the law. On March 15, 1930, five men entered the Martin Weinstein Shoe Factory at the corner of York and Washington Streets in Brooklyn Heights. On the 6th floor of the building, Mr. Weinstein was in the process of collecting his weekly records under the protection of Police Officer Walter De Castilla of the 84th Precinct. The five men took the elevator to the 6th floor. As one man stood guard in the elevator, the other four men stormed Mr. Weinstein’s office. They ignored $ 7,500 sitting at a table and opened fire on Officer De Castilla, a young girl’s married father, with nine years in force. Officer De Castilla was punched six times in the chest and died instantly.

The four men made their way quietly back to the elevator and joined their cohort guarding elevator operator Louis Sella. Stella took down the five men to the ground floor. He later told police that the men had left the building, quietly walked to a parked car, got into the car and fled the scene. When police arrived minutes after the station house, just 2 blocks away, the killers were nowhere to be seen. Villages described the five men as “in their early to mid-twenties, with dark skin and dark hair.” Selah said all the men were “very well dressed.”

The police theory was that since no money had been taken, this was a planned blow to Officer De Castilla. On August 30, 1930, Galante, along with Michael Consolo and Angelo Presincano, were arrested and charged with the murder of Officer De Castilla. However, all four men were soon released due to lack of evidence.

On December 25, 1930, four suspicious men were sitting in a green sedan on Briggs Avenue in Brooklyn. Police Detective Joseph Minahan just happened to be in the area. He spotted the men in the sedan, pulled out his gun and carefully approached the sedan. One of the men shouted to Meinahan, “Stop the honey there, or we will burn you.”

Before Meenahan responded, the shooting started from the green sedan. Minahan was shot in the leg, and a six-year-old girl walking with her mother was seriously injured. The driver of the sedan had trouble starting the car, so the four men jumped out of the sedan and tried to escape on foot. Three of the men fled the area by jumping on a passing truck, but the fourth man slipped when he tried to get on the truck and was detained by the injured Manahan. This man was Carmine Gallant.

When Meinahan took Galante to the station house, a group of detectives, angry that one of them had been injured, began giving Galante a “police station” setting. Despite receiving lumps, Galante refused to relinquish the identity of the escaped men. He was subsequently tried and convicted as one of four men who robbed a Lieberman brewery in Brooklyn. On January 8, 1931, Galante was detained at the Singh Sing Prison in Osingne, New York. He was later transferred to the Clinton Correctional Facility in Danemora, New York, where he remained until his release on May 1, 1939.

While Galante was in prison, he was given an IQ test which revealed that he had an IQ of only 90, which, although Galante was well into his twenties, equaled his mental age of 14. It was also noted that Galante was diagnosed as a “neuropathic psychopathic person”. A physical assessment showed that he sustained a head injury sustained in a car accident when Galante was 10 years old, with an ankle fracture when he was eleven years old, and that Galante showed early signs of gonorrhea, possibly occurring in one of the many mafia-controlled messes.

In 1939, after being released from prison, Galante again got the awkward job of his old job at the Lublin Artificial Flower Company. In February 1941, Galante became a member of Local 856 of the Longshorman Union, where he apparently worked as a stevedore. However, it is likely that Galante very rarely shows up for work; one of the perks of being a member of the mafia.

The exact date is unknown, but Galante was introduced as a member of the Bonano crime family in the early 1940s. Despite the fact that his boss is Joe Bonano, at that time the youngest Mafia boss in America, Galante made many hits for Vito Genovese, all in their 30s and 40s.

While Genovese was in self-imposed exile in Italy (he was wanted on a murder charge and flew to the party before he could be arrested), Genovese became fast friends with the Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini. Mussolini had a stone in his shoe in America called Carlo Treza. Tressa provoked a great deal of agitation by Mussolini, constantly writing anti-fascist sentiment in his radical Italian language, the Il Martello newspaper, which was sold in Italian communities in America.

Genovese sent a message back to America to Frank Garofalo, Lieutenant General Joseph Bonano, saying that Tresa had to go. Garofalo contracted with Tresa to Galante, who overshadowed Tresa for a few days to determine the best time and place to hit him.

On January 11, 1943, Treza was walking along Fifth Avenue near 13th Street when a black Ford sedan pulled past him. The Ford stopped and Galante jumped out with a hot gun in his hand. Galante blasted Tress several times in the back and in the head, killing the newspaper editor instantly. It is amazing that Galante was seen by his release officer fleeing the scene of the accident, but because of the military norms of gasoline, the parole officer failed to follow the black Ford containing Galante and the smoking weapon. There has never been an arrest for Teresa’s murder.

In 1953, Bonano sent Galante to Montreal, Canada, to take control of the interests of the Bonano family north of the border. In addition to the very lucrative Canadian gambling rockets, Bonannos were heavy in importing heroin, from France to Canada, and then to America, the notorious French connection. Galante has been managing the Canadian drug operation for three years. But in 1956, Canadian police came across Galante’s involvement. Not having enough evidence to arrest Galante, they instead deport Galante to America, classifying Galante as “unwanted extraterrestrial.”

In 1957, Genovese called for a summit of all the highest-ranking Mafioso in America to be held at the upper New York residence of Apolachin by Joseph Barbara, a captain in the family of the buffalo crimes of Stefano Magadino. In preparation for this meeting, on October 19, 1956, a number of major crimes in New York State were called in to overcome the directions of the proposed meeting; the main purpose of which was to anoint Genovese as Capo di Tutti Capi or Boss of All Bosses.

After the meeting ended, driving back to New York, Galante was caught speeding near Birmingham, New York. As his driver’s license was terminated, Galante handed the phone to police. He was immediately arrested and sentenced to 30 days in prison. The Mafia’s tentacles, however, reached the New York State Police Department. After several New York attorneys made the right phone calls in the state of New York with motivated calls, Galante was released within 48 hours. Still, a state trooper by the name of Sergeant Edgar Roswell took note of the fact that Galante had admitted to police that he had spent the night last night at the Arlington Hotel, hosting a local businessman named Joseph Barbara. This prompted Roswell to pay particular attention to Barbara’s residence in Apalachin, New York.

Less than a month later, on November 17, 1957, at the insistence of Don Vito Genovese, mafia members from across America made their way to the Barbara residence. These men included Sam Giancana of Chicago, Santo Trafante of Florida, John Scalish of Cleveland and Joe Profaci and Tommy Luchese of New York. Galante boss Joe Bonano decided not to attend, and he sent for him.

Sergeant Roswell became aware of the fact that the day before the nearby Arlington Hotel had been booked for lifts with suspicious outside tugboats. Roswell asked the right questions, and he was able to confirm that the man who made the reservations for these men was Joseph Barbara himself. Roswell walked over to Barbara’s resident, and he noticed dozens of luxury cars parked outside, some with signs outside the city.

Roswell called for support, and within minutes, dozens of state troopers arrived with their rifles drawn. The corpses attacked Barbara’s residence and chaos ensued. Men wearing expensive suits, hats and shoes attached to the house. Some were immediately arrested; some got to their cars and left the property before obstacles were erected by police. Others jumped out of the windows and clung to the thorny forest. One of these men was Carmine Galante, who hid in a cornfield until police left Barbara’s residence. He then returned to Barbara’s home and arranged for his safe passage back to New York.

The next day, when the news of the attack on Barbara’s house hit American newspapers, blowing the lid on the delusional idea that the mafia was a myth, Galante went into the wind or, in a Mafia plan, he “pulled out a Lamia.” On January 8, 1958, the New York Herald Tribune wrote that Galante had escaped to Italy to hang out with old friend Salvatore “Lucky” Luciano, who had been in exile in Italy after serving nine years in an American prison for trumped-up prostitution charging. Another report says that it was not Luciano Galante, but rather Joe “Adonis” Doto, another exiled Mafia boss in Italy. On January 9, an American from the New York Magazine stated that Galante was not in Italy at all, but in Havana, Cuba, with Meyer Lansky, a longtime member of the National Crime Commission, who has numerous interests in casinos in Cuba.

In April 1958, somehow it expired that Galante was already back in the United States and living somewhere in the New York area. Local law went into operation and in July Galante was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Narcotics while driving near Holmdale, New Jersey. He was accused of engaging in a major heroin deal involving one of Galante’s many. Vito Genovese, John Ormento, Joe Di Palermo and Vincent Gigante were arrested in the same case. Galante, again using his cadre of New York attorneys, was released on $ 100,000 bail. Galante’s attorneys were able to delay any further court proceedings by almost two years. It was not until May 17, 1960 that Galante was formally charged and again released on bail.

On January 20, 1961, Galante’s trial finally began and Judge Thomas F. Murphy overturned Galante’s bail by ordering Galante to be imprisoned. However, Galante’s luck lingered when a manifesto was announced on May 15. It appeared that the jury foreman, a poor chief named Harry Apel, a 68-year-old clothing maker, had the misfortune to fall down the stairs in a 15th Street building in Manhattan. After the medics arrived and Apel was taken to a nearby hospital, Apel was found to have received a broken back. No one had seen Apel fall, nor did the injured and frightened Apel say he had hit him. Although they have no clear evidence, law enforcement officials believe Apel was pushed out of the cohort by Galante with a warning not to say anything to anyone and they would allow Apel and his family members to live.

Galante, now alive and well, was released from jail on $ 135,000 bond.

Alas, but all good things must be done.

In April 1962, Galante’s second trial began.

During the trial, there was some chaos in the courtroom when one of Galante’s co-defendants, a nasty creature named Tony Mira (who is said to have killed 30-40 people), became so unobtrusive that he lifted a chair and threw it at the prosecutor. Fortunately for the prosecutor, the chairman missed it and landed in the jury box, forcing scared jurors to scatter in all directions. The order was restored in court and the process continued, which was bad news for both Galante and Mira. Both men were found guilty and on July 10, 1962 Galante was sentenced to thirty years in prison. Mira was also sent to prison for a very long time. It is unclear whether extra time has been awarded to Mira’s sentence for the chair-throwing incident.

Galante was first sent to Alcatraz Prison, located on an island fortress in San Francisco Bay. He was then transferred to a Lewisburg penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas, before serving his final years in prison at the United States Penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia. Finally Galante was released from prison on January 24, 1974, full of fire and brimstone, and ready to go to work. However, Galante should be released by 1981, so he must be careful not to maintain a high profile. Unfortunately, being in the background was not in Galante’s makeup.

While in prison, Galante made it clear that when he got out of prison, he would take control of the New York Mafia by the throat. The adopted head of the five mafia families in New York at the time was Carlo Gambino, head of the Gambino crime family. Gambino was shrewd and generally quiet and reserved; well respected for his business sense and his ability to keep peace among his own family, as well as other mafia families. However, Galante had to use Gambino or his method of doing business.

At the time of Galante’s release, his boss Joe Bonano was forced to “retire” and live in Tucson, Arizona. Bonano’s new boss was Rusty Rastelli. But since Rastelli was in a slap at the time, Galante took on the role of Bonanos’ “street boss”. Still, Rastelli was considered to be the head of the Bonanos, and he wasn’t happy about Galante sticking his things out on the streets of New York.

Galante took the unusual step and was not appreciated by other members of the Bonano crime family, surrounding himself with Sicily-born Mafioso like Caesar Bonventre, Salvatore Catalano and Baldo Amato. These men were derisively called “zippers” by the American mafia because of the swift manner in which they passed through the Italian language. Тези ципове бяха силно замесени в търговията с наркотици и в пряка опозиция с онези от семейството на престъпленията в Генувезе, което беше управлявано от Фунци Тиери, всеки малко по-хитър и порочен като Галанте.

Галанте имаше лек неуспех, когато през 1978 г. той бе арестуван от федералите за “свързване с известни престъпници”, което беше нарушение на неговата условно освобождаване. Докато Галанте се задушава в затвора, той заповядва на хората си да убиват мафиоти в семействата на престъпления в Геновезе и Гамбино, които участват в световната операция на наркотиците в Галанте. С Карло Гамбино, който вече е мъртъв (от естествени причини), Галанте прецени, че има мускулите да изтласка другите фонове на семейството на престъпността на заден план. От затвора той изпрати съобщението до другите шефове: “Кой от вас ще се изправи срещу мен?”

На 1 март 1979 г. Галанте е освободен от затвора и ходи по ефир, защото наистина вярваше, че другите престъпни босове се страхуват от него. Подобно на Вито Дженовезе преди него, Галанте се представяше за „шеф на всички босове“ и беше само въпрос на време другите шефове да се спуснат пред Галанте и да му връчат титлата.

Галант обаче подценяваше силата и волята на другите шефове на Мафиозо в Ню Йорк. Докато Галанте се разхождаше по улиците на Ню Йорк, другите шефове проведоха среща в Бока Ратон, Флорида, за да решат съдбата на Галанте. На тази среща присъстваха Фунци Тиери, Джери Катена, Пол Кастелано и шефът на Флорида Санто Трафанте. Тези мощни мъже гласуваха единодушно, ако трябва да има мир на мафията по улиците на Ню Йорк, Галанте трябваше да отиде. Растели, който все още беше в затвора, беше консултиран и дори възрастният Джо Бонано, живеещ в Аризона, беше попитан дали има резерви към бившия си близък сътрудник. И Растели, и Бонано подписаха договора за убийство на Галанте, а дните на Галанте бяха преброени.

На 12 юли 1979 г. беше горещ и лепкав летен ден, когато 69-годишната Карлин Галанте Линкълн се изтегли на 205 Knickerbocker Avenue, в участъка Бушвик в Бруклин. Повече от 50 години Авеню на Knickerbocker беше тревата на семейството на престъпления в Бонано и през годините се проведоха многобройни посегателства в една от няколкото витрини на блока.

Кармин Галант излезе от Линкълн, след което махна сбогом на шофьора: неговия племенник Джеймс Галанте. Кармин Галанте беше облечена в бяла плетена риза с къс ръкав и, както беше по негов обичай, смучеше огромна пура на Чърчил. Галанте се втурна вътре в мъничкия ресторант и бе приветстван от Джо Турано, собственика на Джо и ресторант Мери. Галанте бе направил това посещение, за да се срещне с Турано и с Леонард „Нардо“ Копола, близък сътрудник на Галанте, за някои неопределени бизнес мафиоти.

Приблизително в 1:30 ч. Капола влезе в ресторанта, придружен от ципове Балдо Амато и Чезаре Бонвентре, които бяха братовчеди, и от същото село с родителите на Галанте: Castellammarese del Golfo. По това време Галанте и Турано вече бяха приключили с яденето си, така че, докато тримата новодошли седяха вътре и обядваха, Галанте и Турано се измъкнаха навътре във вътрешния двор и седнаха под чадър с жълто-тюркоаз. След като Капола, Бонвентре и Амато приключиха с вечерята, те се присъединиха към другите двама мъже отвън. Галанте и Турано пушеха пури и пиеха еспресо кафе, изпъстрено с Анисета (само туристи и неиталианци пият Самбука).

Галанте седеше с гръб към малка градина, докато Амато седеше отляво, а Бонвентре отдясно. Турано и Капола седяха от другата страна на масата с гръб към вратата, която водеше към ресторанта.

Около 14:40 ч. Синьо Mercury Montego двойно паркира пред Джо и Ресторант Мери. Колата е била открадната преди около месец. Шофьорът, облечен в червена райета ски маска, която покриваше лицето му, излезе от колата и застана нащрек, държейки в ръцете си заплашително карабина M.3030 M1. Други трима мъже, също носещи ски маски, скочиха от колата и се впуснаха в ресторанта. Преминаха покрай няколкото стреснати вечери, които все още ядеха обяда, и се втурнаха в зоната на вътрешния двор.

Когато влязоха във вътрешния двор, един маскиран мъж каза на другия: „Вземете го, Сал!“

Стрелецът, наречен „Сал“, започна няколко пъти да стреля с двуколесна пушка по Галанте, като задвижваше Галанте, докато се издигаше от стола, на гърба си. Галанте беше ударен с 30 пелети, като единият му изби лявото око. Галанте вероятно беше мъртъв, преди да удари земята, пурата му все още се заби плътно между зъбите.

Докато Галанте беше застрелян, Джо Турано извика: “Какво правиш?”

Същият стрелец се обърна към Турано и с пушката, притисната към гърдите на Турано, взриви Турано във вечността.

Капола скочи от масата или Амато, или Бонвентре (не е ясно кой е стрелял) застреля Капола в лицето, а след това пет пъти в гърдите. Капола кацна с лицето надолу, а убиецът с пушката се удари от гърба на главата на Копола.

След това тримата маскирани мъже изтичаха от ресторанта и влязоха в чакащата кола за бягство. Според свидетели пред ресторанта колата се е качила на авеню Knickerbocker до Flushing Avenue, след което изчезнала зад ъгъла. Бонвентре и Амато, които носеха кожени якета въпреки задушаващата жега, скоро последваха тримата артилеристи от ресторанта. Те спокойно тръгнаха надолу по блока, влязоха в син Линкълн и потеглиха, сякаш бяха полагали грижи по света.

Тялото на Галанте беше положено в погребалния дом в Провансано-Ланза на 43 Второ авеню от Долната Източна страна. Тълпите, които обикновено придружават мафиотски събуждания от този вид, по-специално липсваха. Галанте е погребан на 17 юли на гробището Сейнт Джон в Куинс. По време на броенето федералите само 59 души присъстваха на погребалната маса и погребението на Галанте. Федерите съобщиха също, че нито един мъж, накарал мафията, е бил заловен на камери за наблюдение, нито след събуждането, нито на погребението.

Един Фед, коментирайки оскъдната избирателна активност, каза: “Галанте беше толкова лош, хората не искаха да го виждат, дори когато беше мъртъв.”

Въпреки че вестниците изиграха убийството със страховити снимки на първа страница, широката общественост изглеждаше неприлична по отношение на мащаба на събитието. Младо момче се приближи до полицай, който стоеше охраняващ будката.

“Актьор ли беше?” – каза детето на ченгето.

Полицаят отговорил: „Не, той беше гангстер“.