Long Island Railroad Museum in Riverhead:
Although Riverhead may be considered a virtual end of Long Island, it was only the beginning of the initially foreseen intermodal rail and sea link of the North Fork to the eventual cross ferry connection.
Accepting its earliest name for the settlement of Head of the River or Head of the River, the finally designated monolingual "River Head", the ninth of the ten cities of Suffolk County, was created by the west end of Southhold on March 13, 1792. .
Thus separate and autonomous, it was injected with growth with the arrival of the railroad and the train station, built on July 29, 1844 and serving the South Ferry, Brooklyn to the Greenport line, was built on what is now Railroad Avenue. Despite his intended purpose, he directed his own decarbuying passenger to the stage coaches who took them to Kugu and other southern island destinations.
Trains in the East served the city on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, while the western ones, back to Brooklyn, did so Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Commercial, milling and manufacturing activities, its predominantly commercial endeavors, catered to 1,600 people in 1875, with the community boasting two mills, offices, 20 shops, three hotels and six churches.
The replacement of the original train depot, which was transformed into a railroad workers' home, with a wooden frame designed by Charles Hallett and including carved trim and elaborate finishes, was built west of Griffing Avenue between 1869 and 1870. This was subsequently replaced by a third, this time including a brick in its construction, on June 2, 1910.
"In the early 1900s, the East was a place of prosperous potato farms in the summer and deep snow in the winter," writes Ron Sieel and George H. Foster in their book Steel Rails to Sunrise: The Long Island Railroad (Ameron House , 1965, p. 158).
"From the moment it became aware that the original cause of its existence had disappeared with the construction of the New Haven to Boston railroad (fifty years earlier), LIRR had played an important role in the development of the eastbound areas," they continued (p. 158). "… Business and civic organizations across the island have joined prominent citizens, newspapers and the railroad to promote Long Island travel and settlements."
However, this development was hardly rapid and when the rails were later replaced by roads, the re-invented, intermodal purpose of the railroad had disappeared, leaving most of the passengers traveling to Manhattan during mass morning eviction.
In fact, by 1963, the main line east of the Riverhead had been reduced to a single daily passenger and three-week freight operation, initially using the route intended for the mid-19th century rail-sea link.
Today's high-level concrete platform, which bears no mark on certain days and seasons, was built between 1996 and 1997, but for rail lovers, part of its history has been preserved at the Long Island Railroad Museum by then.
"Long Island's history can be traced to the steel rails that cross its diverse landscape – from the dark tunnels beneath New York to the farms and sand dunes of the East End," according to its website. "The Long Island Railroad Museum seeks to illustrate this story through interpretive displays from its archive of photographs and artifacts, as well as through the preservation and restoration of vintage railroad equipment at its two locations in Riverhead and Greenport, New York."
The first, consisting of a 70-meter parcel of land, now owned by the Sofia Transport Authority, but leased to the museum, once transported a pump, water tower and turntable that was no longer compatible with the larger , more powerful locomotives appearing during World War II. Today, the cornerstone of the complex is a 1885 building and used by the Corwin and Vale Wooden Courtyards, but now serves as a visitor center for the Lionel model railroad car, Long Island Railroad sports wagons in various animal art, cardboard and a replica of Balsa wood from Riverhead's landmark, marking its 100th anniversary, and a gift shop.
Beyond it is the Lionel Visitor Center, featuring a multi-storey circus display with the Ringling and Barnum and Bailey brothers, a water tower that identifies the city as "Lionelville", and 72 accessories activated by buttons from turning wind turbines to illuminated control towers .
Outside are two other rail lines: the Freeman Rail rail line and the elaborate detour and ride, 1964-1965 Fair Fair.
Built by Alan Herschel, the 16-lane train itself was an integral part of the Long Island Rail Pavilion, then used by Grumman Aerospace at its company picnic in Calverton before being used by the Patchogue Village and eventually donated to the museum. .
After it was restored, its engine and three cars carrying the world's livery and world advertising, "Ride the Log Log. Travel easily, your steel drive to the Fair Gateway ', moving 670 feet from the runway, usually deviating every half hour and making three chains. Waters are included with allowance.
The passage to it, originally located in Hinduwood, Queens, and protected the weather guards, made it easier to manually lower and lift the gates when trains crossed to prevent pedestrians and cars from moving. Riverhead returned to the automatic system in the early 1950s.
The Long Island steam and diesel locomotive and railroad museum is diverse and historically significant. Although several are displayed outside the gift shop, most are located across Griffing Avenue, parallel to the current LIRR songs and from the current Riverhead Station.
Players at the end of the steam event in 1955 are on display here, though at different stages of restoration.
Time, distance and technology separated the steam locomotives from their coaches more than half a century ago, but the museum has reassembled some of them, and they are now standing only a few meters away from each other, albeit in static but restorative states.
As one of the ten wheels of the Pennsylvania Railroad of the G-5 class, the No. 39 engine, for example, was constructed in its Juniata stores in 1923, but its robust capabilities, expressed by its features, are ideally suited to the everyday, demanding line for travel service: gross weight of 237,000 pounds, cylinder power of 2 178 hp, boiler pressure of 205 psi, force of 41,328 pounds and speed between 70 and 85 mph.
Mainly operating the Oyster Bay branch, it was the last steam engine to travel to Greenport in June 1955.
Putting his railroad car into the hands of the RS-3 diesel locomotive, number 1556, at the time of the end of Steam in Hicksville, he gave up the era. This 1600hp AGP-16msc engine, equipped with multiple speed control and built by an American locomotive company, subsequently served the Long Island rail system for 22 years, after which it was purchased from the Gettysburg and Maryland Midlands Railways. , and was finally acquired by the museum.
An interesting, but not necessarily related to Long Island history is the recently acquired Brooklyn Eastern Railway Terminal (BEDT) locomotive, characterized by a 0-6-0 wheel configuration. Designed by HK Porter in 1923 for the Astoria Power and Light Company, it goes into several hands, including those of Fleischman & # 39; s yeast company in Peekskill, New York; the Alabama Railroad and Locomotive Company; and finally, since 1938, the Brooklyn East Terminal itself, numbering 16 and providing a floating car service from the Brooklyn coastline to several Class 1 railroads in Manhattan, the Bronx and New Jersey .
As the last steam engine operating both east of the Mississippi River and in New York, it was not retired until October 1963, or eight years after the Long Island Railroad ceased its own use of the technology.
The cars are also well represented by the museum.
The two-story # 200 trainer, who shared his Tuscan red paint, was the first such two-level aluminum car. A joint project between the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA), a 120-passenger pilot prototype built in 1932, was an attempt to increase capacity without creating excessively long trains and because of its non-standard status, appeared without controls. stands or traction motors. Designated for the T-62 class in production form, they accommodated 132.
A later, more ubiquitous passenger car was the P72, of which there are two on display, sporting the earlier northern circuit of blue and the platinum mist of the Long Island Railroad. Numbered 2923 and 2924, they were part of a 1954 order for 25 locomotive, 120-passenger passenger cars manufactured by Pullman Standard at the Osgood Bradley plant in Worcester, MA, initially appearing with battery and steam lighting heating, but were subsequently retrofitted with diesel generators under the car, which supply power to these utilities. Having served the Yeoman service for 44 years, they were not retired until 1999.
The significance of the museum couple is that they both participate in the Steam End Ceremony in Hicksville: car 2924 was pulled from engine 39 and a Boy Scout troop from Brooklyn housed, while car 2923 was similarly pulled from engine 35, but comes from the East End.
Unbound, the former is attached to a 1556 diesel engine, leaving for Jamaica, while the second joins the 1555, leaving for Riverhead. Almost hand-in-hand, the pair of unmanned locomotives set off for the steam era, entering their retirement home in Morris Park.
Another significant pair of cars are the two M1s on the museum, shown on the same track.
At 85 feet, 10.6 feet long and 122 passenger capacity, these single-passenger, stainless steel cars with rounded fiberglass lids feature four 160-hp General Electric 1255 A2 traction motors. and four-point automatic sliding doors. They had a four-meter, 8.5-inch track and offered a maximum radius of curvature of 240 feet for compound units and served as the threshold for the electrified era for the Long Island Railroad, as expressed in the public relations brochure, entitled, " A New Generation in Rail Travel: Meet the Metropolitan, who promised that "a new era of rail travel is beginning on the Long Island Railroad."
"The elegant stainless steel Metropolitan represents a new generation in suburban rail services," the release said. "This brings a whole new look to the Long Island Railroad, the nation's largest rail transportation system."
Explaining the motivation behind the design, he said: "(The Metropolitan Transportation Authority) determined that it was 'more of the same' to meet the expectations for the equipment (needs and) of the Long Island Railroad (not an option).
"An exceptional group of experts turned to the MTA to work out the detailed specifications of the cars, which led to the birth of the Metropolitan.
"This joint operation is managed by the MTA and its technical staff, working in close collaboration with the experienced Long Island Railway operations staff. This effort has resulted in a record time, and the specifications for the dramatically modified, newly created rail passenger car will be at the forefront of long-distance travel … "
A firm order for the 620 M1 Metropolitans and 150 variants, then the largest single North American for multi-unit electric cars, was made with Budd, and deliveries were made between 1968 and 1973.
In need of an increase in power from 650 to 750 volts DC drawn from a contact shoe-third rail connection, the type went into service in an eight-wagon configuration on December 30, 1968, from Brooklyn to Penn Station, blurring the lines between the typical railroad line passenger line supplementing engines and buses and the concept of autonomous subway.
"Metropolitan trains are stacked in two wagons, fully equipped for independent operations …", the public relations brochure explained. "One car in each unit contains batteries and a motor alternator. The other houses the air compressor. Metropolitan is the first such multiple train operation in operation."
The brochure also highlighted its development.
"America's fastest, most modern railcar is packed with innovations and advanced features designed to provide a high level of service and comfort to the LIRR rider."
Progressively replaced at the beginning of the 21st century by the successful M7 cars commissioned by Bombardier of Canada, the first of which was delivered in 2002, it participates in its own farewell to the M1, host of the Head of the National Sunrise Trail Railroad Historical Society, four years later, on November 4th.
No freight train or railway museum would be complete without a cab. The window screen displayed on the Long Island Museum of Rail Transportation, numbered C-68, serves as the conductor's office, the end-of-car safety monitoring point and the crew's living area when moving allows you to return to the start stations for the night.
Greenport Railway Museum in Greenport:
Twenty-three road miles east is Greenport, the other location of the Long Island Railroad Museum and the end of the line. But when the Long Island Railroad was conceived, it was only the beginning of it – in terms of its intended purpose and the point of intermodal connection, where the torch was transmitted from a train to a transverse sounding steamer. Eventually, technology conquered the southern Connecticut rail route to Boston and destroyed the foundation of the newly-built concern.
However, while the other facility of the museum is poorly mobile, it is rich in history.
Settled by colonists in New Haven in 1648, it takes advantage of its eastern, accessible water location, develops a shipping and shipping hub, with small ships transporting production to Connecticut and larger, serving New York and New England. The whaling began in 1790.
Because its port was intended as an end point and transfer point, it also attracted the runway.
"Greenport was the place that made the Long Island Railroad built," according to historian Frederick A. Kramer. "With a marvelous port opening to Gardiner Bay, batch ships for continental connection to Boston had to put together whales and local fishing boats."
Although Greenport opened its doors on July 29, 1844, the first official trip and the first segment of the advertised "via Boston route" did not happen until next month, August 10, with the train leaving Brooklyn at 08: 00 and arriving at 12:00, after which the passengers transferred to the railroad-owned steamboat, Cleopatra (part of its $ 400,000 investment in boats and docks) for the two-hour passage to Stonington, Connecticut, and then completion of the trip, again with a rail trance sports, to Boston on Norwich and Worcester.
Although the fire devours the original wooden depot and platform, opened on July 27, 1844, a quarter-century later, designed by Charles Hallett, rises to the north of the twin tracks in October 1870, turning Greenport into a railway center with a freight house, a turntable, a shipping port and a storage depot that serves as a starting point for Pullman cars destined for cities west of Pittsburgh.
Although the North Fork as a whole and the area around it in particular still cultivate potatoes and cauliflower, this once remote farmland has been reduced to hours in distance and resized to its intended purpose, attracting people who have developed commerce and industry.
Unsuccessfully competing with the New Haven and Hartford railroad and then trying to rely on interstitial traffic after his initial plan was plundered, he was still able to transport his crops to the markets of the west and the fleet that owns the railroad provides access. to Block Island, Montauk on the South Fork and New London in Connecticut.
To facilitate what remained of the Long Island rail trip and still provide protection against the salty air of seawater, a third Victorian-style depot was built in 1892, including a red brick structure. и декоративни функции, като покрив на бедрата, релеф шарки, гребени от ковано желязо и финали. Заедно с едновременно отворената товарна къща, която сама включваше камион за камиони, плъзгащи се врати, заобикаляща дървена палуба и четири стъпален вход от Четвърта улица, тя се присъедини към другите съоръжения в това, което се е развило в обширен железопътен двор и включва четиристройна машинна къща, резервоар за вода, зона за нагряване и структури за поддръжка.
Влакът от Изток Енд, както се очакваше, намаля, като ежедневното пътуване между Amagansett и Greenport се извършва от малък, 4-4-0 парен локомотив, който дърпа комбайн (пътнически и багажен) автомобил и пълен вагон. Тръгна в 10:00 и направи междинни спирки в Ийстпорт и Манорвил. Тъй като последва полукръгово трасе, пистата за записване на загуби, носеща поща, експрес и шепа души, беше алтернативно наречена „Scoot“ и „Cape Town Train“.
След уволнение в Грийнпорт, тя продължи стъпките си, като отново отпътува в 14:00.
Но появата на автомобила и амортисьора на Депресията ускори прекратяването му през февруари 1931г.
„(Днес) двете сградни гари, комбинирани с историческия грамофон и навесът на секцията, съдържат най-голямото и най-пълно представяне на железопътни сгради и конструкции, които да оцелеят в един и специфичен исторически район на Лонг Айлънд“, според Уебсайтът на железопътния музей на Лонг Айлънд.
Една от тях, оригиналната товарна къща, помещава самия музей.
От значение са две железопътни модели на HO-габарит, изобразяващи Грийнпорт през 50-те години и днес. Общото между двамата е неразделната роля, която доковете, пристанището и морския град винаги са играли в своята история.
Друг важен аспект беше обслужването на автомобили в салоните, железопътната линия Лонг Айлънд, експлоатирана между 40-те и 80-те години на миналия век, осигуряваща разкошен и популярен начин на пътуване за нюйоркчани, които почиват в Ийст Енд или просто правят бягство от уикенда, и дисплеите разполагат с удобните места за сядане, прибори за хранене и Китай. Това до Монтаук, на южната вилка, беше наречено „Cannonball“, а самият Greenport „Express Shelter Island Express“.
Железопътната атмосфера от по-ранна епоха се създава от артефакти и прибори, считани някога за „модерни“, като ръчна пишеща машина, ръчно задействан телефон, вагон за маркуч, охладител за вода, сигнални лампи на флагмански и кондукторни прозорци и прозорци за билети.
Останките от кулата Блис, които по-рано са били разположени в участъка Блисвил в Куинс, илюстрират как съоръжения като тези са поставени в точките на затваряне на коловози, което дава възможност на операторите да осъществят визуален контакт с приближаващите влакове и по подходящ начин да се активират, чрез ръчни средства, кросоувър превключватели, които по същество служиха като кормилни механизми на локомотивите.
Например, контролирайки трафика от Лонг Айлънд Сити по разклона на Монтаук, тези кули представляват интегрална инфраструктура за пресичане в продължение на един век, докато автоматизацията не елиминира нуждата им.
Няколко автомобила са изложени навън на коловоза, до който се достига от заобикалящата дървена палуба на товарното депо.
Бившата клинови снегорини Long Island Railroad W-83, например, беше прикрепена пред един или повече локомотиви и избутана със скорост до 35 мили / ч, изчиствайки следите от сняг. Поради схемата на боята, наподобяваща зъби, примерът на музея, който е единственият останал такъв модул LIRR, беше наречен "челюсти".
Кабусът номер 14 зад него, построен от американската компания за автомобили и леяри през 1927 г., беше част от последната поръчка на железниците за дървени и обслужваше цялата маршрутна система, включително клонове, които вече не съществуват.
След пенсионирането си през 60-те години на миналия век тя преминава в няколко вторични ръце, включително тези на Бранфордската електрическа железопътна линия, долината на долината в Есекс, Кънектикът и накрая музея, връщайки се на родината в Лонг Айлънд на 17 май 1997 г.
Отвъд експонатите на подвижния състав на музея и от тройната, все още активна железопътна линия на Лонг Айланд е грамофонът с дължина 80 фута, последно използван от парен локомотив № 39 на 5 юни 1955 г. и един от оставащите само три. Тя е единствената с пневматично задвижване.
Предполаган, че един ден ще бъде презастроен за екскурзионни влакове с парно захранване между музеите Riverhead и Greenport, това ще даде възможност на пътниците да покрият Северната вилка с железопътна линия и да изкопаят оригиналната писта почти два века след полагането й.
Вляво от грамофона е бетонната платформа на високо ниво, построена между 1997 и 1998 г. и най-много полета на LIRR операции в два дни. Вляво от него е оригиналната сграда на станцията от 1897 г., която се затвори 70 години по-късно, но сега се намира музеят на пристанището в Ийст Енд.
И накрая, сегашният пристан за разтягане на пристанището замени този, който някога поддържаше коловозите, водещи към параходите, свързани с Стонингтън, първоначалното предназначение на железопътната линия Long Island.